Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Set Free From Fear

by Timothy Howe



I love traveling. There have been times in my life when I never truly felt at home like being in an airplane or an airport. I know how strange that might sound, but there is just something about going places. As a result, I've made it to six continents and many countries. 


So, it might come as a surprise, that occasionally I still think, "I hope this plane gets off the ground." Yet, it still seems unfathomable that such a huge collection of metal can get airborne. The laws of aerodynamics explain why this is possible. The law of common sense tells me otherwise in the seconds that the jet is hurling down the runway. 


So, that's my admission. This travel still occasionally gets tinges of fear at takeoff. Yet, it is only a tinge. I still climb on board of airplanes without apprehension because ration overcomes irrational fear. You might say that I fly in airplanes because I am set free from the fear of flying. 


It would be quite different if my fear still control my actions. I have known people who suffer from paralyzing, indecisive fear. Are you one of those? What fears do you have? Have you ever examined them to see how rational they are? The scriptures teach us:


The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe. 
Proverbs 29:25
and 


for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. 
2 Timothy 1:7

May you set free from fear. 


And by being set free,
                             What are you ready to do today?
                             Where are you ready to go today?

No comments:

Post a Comment