Friday, January 17, 2014

How Beautiful Are Your Feet?

by Timothy Howe


Today, I am finishing up a project in Mexico. It has been a good two weeks in which I taught future leaders in the Mexican church. 

My time here has taken me back to many previous moments in my life. Mexico is not very different than many other places where I have worked. The faces I see are so familiar to me even as I see them for the first time. The students are eager to make a difference in the world. They are ready to face challenges that they cannot imagine. They say that I inspired them with my teaching and my stories. But they inspire me. 

They cause me to remember what it was like to be on a the cusp of launching into the world to accomplish that for which we were created. They push me to continue to pursue the same goal in my life. I am sure that I will add a little more gusto in my efforts in the near future because of them.

I shared a story with them of the life of a young man whom God allowed me to befriend about 10 years ago. This young man (someone who resembles the young man in the photo above) showed me how much my life could make a difference. He had never met a Christian before me and when a mutual friend told him that I was a Christian, he wanted to meet me. In time, the Lord allowed a friendship to develop between us. During that time he decided to follow the path of Christianity as well. He then became a leader in the church. I was able to see much of his journey. 

Interestingly, the telling of his story served as part of the process of training others who are on the same path as he was 10 years ago. They do not know him, but I believe one day will meet him. At that meeting there will be people who were separated by thousands of miles and several years who shared similar journeys - journeys that I helped influence.

I am not called for myself or my own sake. 
I am called to make a difference in this world for my Lord. 

All of us are called to make that difference. 
Whose journey are you effecting today? 
In whom are you investing today?


     As it is written:
             "How Beautiful are the feet of those
               who bring good news!"

                                    Romans 10:15b NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment